Weakened Biggy scythed down as they lose their way in Forest

Rugby ENGPNL00220130924110916
Rugby ENGPNL00220130924110916

Fielding a weakened side Biggleswade lost their unbeaten record in Midlands 2 East (South) going down to Leicester Forest 10-13.

There were five changes from the side which played two weeks ago with key players Jonathan Hamilton, Michael Haddow and Peter Hall missing from the pack along with Taig Norman and Elliott Tunstall absent from the three-quarters.

On the plus side the game marked the return of winger Sam Stock who last played in September 2014 needing surgery on an injury.

He had few chances to stretch his legs and show some of the form which brought him a hatful of tries in the season before last.

Before the match Biggleswade were third in the league with Leicester Forest three from the bottom having lost to Vipers at home, a side Biggleswade put nearly 40 points on.

But inspired by their number ten who was head and shoulders above anyone else on the park the visitors just had a greater appetite to succeed than Biggleswade who made too many errors.

The penalty count against Biggleswade was more than twice as many as the visitors.

Biggleswade had a monster pack out with Kyle Loan in at hooker between the vastly experienced Adam Fage and Andy Burke, two very well fed props.

Skipper Dom Nott who normally plays in the front row moved to flanker alongside Liam Dunne who was the only forward under 14 stone! The pack at times showed that they were the heavier with some massive driving mauls. But when they took their foot of the gas they too were shunted back in some set pieces.

In the closing minutes of the game there was a bizarre incident at an attacking lineout in the visitor’s 22. Biggleswade won the ball moved it to the back of the wedge for the trundle forward. But Forest stood off and refused to engage so that Biggleswade were penalised for effectively running into a player in front of the ball carrier.

This World Cup has a lot to answer for as the tactic of not engaging was demonstrated by one of the minnow sides earlier in the week.

Biggleswade took an early lead when the Forest scrum was disrupted in their 22 which ended with Graham Williams at the bottom of the pile when the forwards drove over the line. The conversion was missed as were two penalty attempts, including one from long range.

Instead it was Forest who scored next. Awarded a seventh penalty against Biggleswade the kick to the corner resulted in a try from the lineout.

The visitors added another after the break when a drop out from the Biggleswade 22 was poorly defended leading to a try under the posts. But the easiest of conversion attempts was also muffed by the Forest’s kicker.

It was that man Trigg again who got Biggleswade back on level terms. The forwards set up a strong attacking base and Michael stretched over the line in the corner for the touchdown.

However as once again Biggleswade conceded other penalty 20 metres out and in front of the posts the Leicester Forest kicker made no mistake taking full advantage of the error.