Potton hit five at Melton

First for sports news PNL-140425-121522003First for sports news PNL-140425-121522003
First for sports news PNL-140425-121522003
Potton's long opening day trip to UCL Division One newcomers ended in a convincing 5-2 victory on Saturday.

Melton have just moved to a new ground, Digital Deadline Park, which they are still developing and have plans for installing floodlights by the end of September. The playing surface was good and there was a slope from one goalmouth to the other.

Melton could argue that they gave away some goals through poor defending but equally Potton missed a considerable number of easy chances, especially in the first half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Playing with the advantage of the slope Melton had the ball in the net in the opening minute through a header from Lee Mann but he was offside.

A good Potton move resulted in Jack Weeden forcing Ashley King to save. In the 14th minute Potton battled well for the ball to be fed to Daniel Webb who calmly slotted home the opening goal.

This led to a period of sustained pressure and missed chances by Potton. A good passing movement between Gary Ansell-Carter and Webb ended with Webb shooting over the bar. Web then played Gary Ansell-Carter through only for his shot also to go over the bar and Jack Weeden had a good effort blocked.

A shot from Gus Gentleman went narrowly over Potton’s bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the 28th minute a long ball from Luke Harradine went over Melton’s defence for Gary Ansell-Carter to slot home the second.

Potton continued to be on top and from a Gary Ansell-Carter centre Jack Weeden headed wide. Adam Bishop had a long range shot deflected for a corner.

In the last minute of the half Melton had a free kick just outside the area that was blocked and the ball went to Darren Taylor who scored with a fine shot from 25 yards.

As in the first half in the opening minute Melton had the ball in the net but was again ruled offside.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the 50th minute the Melton keeper Ashley King tried to clear but the ball went straight to Gary Ansell-Carter and from 35 yards his left foot shot rolled into the unguarded goal to restore Potton’s two goal advantage. A good passing move between Chris Reeves And Jack Weeden ended with Gary Ansell-Carter forcing a good save from King.

On the hour Melton took a quick throw in that caught Potton unaware and Gentleman’s low cross was hammered into the net off the cross bar by Ashley Palfreyman.

Potton regained the two goal advantage in the 66th minute when the ball fell to Webb and his left foot shot from 25 yards gave the goalie no chance. Potton continued to attack and when George Kiely harried a defender the ball went to Kiely and his effort crept just inside the post. Webb played the ball to Gary Ansell-Carter but he delayed his shot and the effort was blocked.

At the other end Palfreyman headed wide when well placed. Sam Kelly saw his shot saved before Calum Forster forced a good save from King.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Potton United: Aaron Loney, Calum Forster, Shaun Flack, Shaun Faulkner, Luke Harradine, Chris Reeves, Danny Webb, Aiden McLean (Mark Ansell-Carter), Gary Ansell-Carter, Jack Weeden (Matthew Chapman), George Kiely (Sam Kelly)