Waders match Weymouth big boys

First for sports newsFirst for sports news
First for sports news
Biggleswade Town once again proved they could mix it with the big hitters with a 1-1 draw at home to Weymouth on Saturday.

Whilst sitting pondering about the game, which I have to admit had spells of disinterest, it came to me how far the Waders have come as a football club.

The heady days of May 6, 2013 and the promotion clinching play-off win at Rugby was only two and a half seasons ago.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Since then we have mixed it with the alleged ‘big boys’, Weymouth being one of them, and the other aspirational clubs who have known or want to know better times.

I firmly believe that consistency, like it should, has won the day. Chris Nunn boarded a rocking ship many years ago but to date he has piloted the club to a mid-table Southern Premier League berth.

Whilst those around us hire and fire monotonously ever striving for better, the team from the sleepy town that not many have heard of go about their business.

We have confirmed our right to be in this league and are no longer fearful when the big hitters are in town. The Southern League Premier is in one way no different to the actual Premier League, it’s all about budget, what you can afford. That depends on the income which comes back to bums on seats.

The big boys have huge populations to call on.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

To the game, which largely felt like an end of season fixture with nothing to play for. Neither the Waders or Weymouth had many chances to improve a mid-table slot and on reflection a draw was the right result.

Inih Effiong put the Waders ahead after a mistake by Jason Matthews in the Weymouth goal picked up a back pass. I can understand the confusion as the back pass came from close to the halfway line, but the intent was there. Just inside the area Mark Coulson rolled the perfect ball to Effiong to smash through a crowd of oncoming players on 20 minutes.

Yetton levelled the score on 36 minutes as some nifty footwork from George Rigg and Jason Copp found him loose at the back post to volley home.

There were scares and saves and what you would expect but the ball spent much of its time way above the stadium floor.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ringing the changes, Nunn brought on Sam Merson and a welcome return for Tony Burnett, who has been out since New Year’s Day.

Slick passing between the two proved influential in the last 20 minutes. Merson hit the inside of the post and Max York had a header tipped over as the Waders looked for the win.

It was not to be, more points shared but against such big fish that is no mean feat.