S&S let Bishops back in for win

Shefford & Sandy Mens firsts were disappointed to lose 4-3 to Bishops Stortford on Saturday in a game they had in their pocket.

S&S started well putting the Bishops defence under pressure with wave after wave of sweeping moves. Defenders Jeff Hall and Ramohan Bhogal did particularly well to support and create from wide positions.

Midway through the half they took a deserved lead, Chris Fell’s lifted shot finding the back of the net.

S&S had further chances to take the lead, the best of which followed a good run by Elliot Jones who found an unmarked Tom Pateman, his shot although beating the keeper could not beat the defender on the line.

Just on the stroke of half time S&S went 2-0 up with their best move of the game. Lewis Bridger picked up the ball just inside the Bishops half and found Alyn Meredith out wide, he took the ball down the left and then provided an inch perfect cross for the on-running Bridger to provide a great diving finish.

S&S should have killed the game off in the first half and were made to pay in the second. The Bishops pulled one back early in the second half, only for Bridger to collect his second after a goalmouth scramble. What happened next was poor, as two goals were given away.

S&S came back though and thought they had taken the lead again, a great ball in at pace seemingly deflected in to the goal by Jones, but after the umpires consulted it was not given.

Bishops then took full advantage to collect a fourth. Despite some further &S pressure the connectivity of the first half had gone and the Bishops were able to manage the rest of the game and collect the points.

Next week S&S go to top of the table Wapping at the Olympic Park in a must win game. Anything less and their opportunity for promotion from will probably be lost.

S&S IIs went to fellow promotion contenders Royston in what was for them a must win game. Unfortunately it was not a good day for the team, as home advantage was made to tell by Royston and they won 3-2.

S&S IIIs confirmed promotion from Division 7SW following a hard fought 3-2 victory against a very game Berkhamsted IVs side.

A very even first half ended 1-1, Pete Barnes providing the S &S goal.

The second half started with Berko in the ascendant and they took a deserved lead. The IIIs though are used to winning and although they were not at their fluent best they drew level, Steve Ashdown’s first time shot finding the back board.

Berko thought they had taken the lead only for their strike from a penalty corner to be ruled out.

With five minutes left, following a move down the right involving Steve Brookes and man of the match Ryan Devlin, the ball fell loose for Ed De Luca to provide a precise finish. It was hard luck on Berko who had played their part in this good competitive game. Now the title has to be sealed.

The Men’s IVs entertained local rivals Bedford Vs and could not have been expecting much from a side that had scored six goals in each of their last two outings. As it was S&S deserved this 3-2 victory in probably their best performance of the season.

Bedford had much of the possession early on and but for some excellent keeping from James Steer they would probably have scored earlier than they did. The Bedford goal stirred S&S into action, young midfielders Toby Morlidge and Marcus Pennington doing well against their more mature Bedford counterparts.

S&S thought they had pulled one back but Elliot Woods’s shot was stopped on the line. Just before half time Bretton Woodhouse provided a moment of magic, dribbling his way past three players and dispatching the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

The second half started much like the first with Bedford dominant and it was no surprise when they took the lead. Minutes later a great strike from Bedford was brilliantly saved by Steer.

After this S&S took control of the game, Alistair Wood somehow getting the ball over the line for the equaliser.

S&S continued to press, senior pro Rob Clough taking control of the midfield and releasing his younger charges to wreak havoc down the wings. The tireless Woodhouse finally opened up the defence, his ball in being neatly deflected by youngster Alistair Wood to take all three points.

Related topics: